Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Flashback!

As I was looking through the blog today, I realized there are no pictures or stories from my first National Park Unit - Stones River National Battlefield. So I thought I would toss a couple pictures in. Also, I spoke with a friend from Tennessee today, she is working on her PhD in the same program I am still in. Actually the work on my thesis could more aptly be called FORLORN HOPE: the never ending struggle against procrastination. She mentioned that I am now an official cautionary tale at MTSU. They now tell students, "Whatever you do, DO NOT get a job in the National Park Service UNTIL you finish your degree!" Am I pathetic or what?


Anyway, so here are some memories of last year:


Jim, John, me, and Gib


Giving a program at the National Cemetery


Dressed in my finest Yankee wool
Me with Ed Bearss, former Marine and WWII vet, notable Civil War historian and former Chief Historian of the National Park Service
GUNS!
Cool car
Killing exotic plants


And finally, me firing the cannon. I am at the 3rd position (pulling the friction primer) at the piece closest to camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for the record, i am in the masters program, like you, and would totally take a job in paradise over finishing my thesis any day, regardless of the cautionary tale.

also, i have to throw my hands up in frustration again... you freaking get to be in the newspaper as cool interpreting park ranger. i was in the rutherford county paper as the ranger who was the representative who went to the "stay-cation" expo (play on the word vacation) at the cool springs galleria/mall. hard-core park ranger business right there. people fear me.