Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Arrival

Friday 6:30pm
I got off the plane and much to my surprise both my checked bags had made it. Next I went through customs. Everyone has a passport but me. I’m worried. The officer asks for ID and accepts my Tennessee Drivers license. I’m relieved. “How long are you staying?” he asks. “One to four years,” I reply. I get through and proceed towards the car rental area. I have no idea if anyone will be picking me up and I am very doubtful that anyone will be here. “Ben!” someone shouts from my left. Whoa someone is here to pick me up – THANK THE LORD! Wait a minute… how did that guy know who I am? I must look very out of place. Well, I’m white, most people are not. I am very pale and even the few other white people are at least a little tan. But it turns out, it was my NPS tote bag that gave me away. I am greeted by James. Although he is much older than me, James is a STEP ranger, meaning he is a student working part time. James is actually wearing a Hawaiian shirt (cliché or just coincidence?). The heat and humidity hit me like I’ve just walked inside Godzilla’s mouth. It is similar to Tennessee in August right after a cloud burst. James takes me to his lifted but battered Jeep Wrangler and we take off. He gives me a quick drive around Tumon, the main tourist area of Guam. With the traffic, stores and sprawl, it could be anywhere, USA. Tumon is a mélange of stores and hotels with some English, but mostly Japanese signs. All the buildings are square concrete boxes in various states of decay. While there are many lavish hotels, poverty is very noticeable and the decaying concrete buildings give me a 3rd world vibe. The impressive tourist attractions such as Underwater World, the Hard Rock Café, and Planet Hollywood as well as the trendy and expensive stores such as Louis Vuitton and Rolex clash with the rundown eateries and “XXX” adult themed establishments almost next door. We continue toward the Tumon beach. James pulls up almost to the beach itself. We get out and walk about ten yards to the water. It must be high tide. The red sun is setting over Tumon bay and small puffs of clouds are smeared across the horizon. Both the clouds and the calm ocean reflect the amber hues of the setting sun. It is amazing. “Wow,” I manage to mutter. “Sucks doesn’t it?” James adds. James begins to talk to some of the people around us on the beach. I break away from the sunset and notice that James actually knows most of the completely random people on the beach around us and begins to introduce me. Of course I don’t remember any names. Among the random sampling of people on the beach I meet a French guy who runs the Louis Vuitton store, a former U.S. Olympic swimmer, and one of my future co-workers. After only 15 minutes we head to my hotel in the neighboring village of Tamuning. I check in, drop off my stuff and head down to the beachfront bar. I have a beer and realize how utterly exhausted I am. It’s only 8:30, but I head back to the room and crash.

No comments: