Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Getting to Guam

After leaving Manzanar, I flew to South Carolina to visit family before leaving the mainland. I get back to California and spend a couple of days before I take the big flight. I arrive at LAX way too early on the morning of the 27th of March. After going through the fastest security line I have ever been experienced, I settle down for the two hour wait to get on the plane. I got there way too early – and there were still lots of people. Finally I get on the plane and sleep almost the entire way to Hawaii. About five hours later I’m in the Aloha state waiting in the airport. By the time I board the plane, I am sick of planes and airports. The flight begins and I begin to have a conversation with the passenger next to me. He’s a native of Guam – a Chamorro by the name of Peter Cruz. He is going home to his grandmother’s funeral and he hasn’t been to Guam in over ten years. “You’re gonna have a great time,” he assures me. An hour into the flight, I begin to watch the TV show House on the video screen in front of me. Two hours later I try to sleep but can’t and two hours later I watch the same four House episodes again. After an eternity we land on Guam. Looking out the window as we taxi to the airport terminal, Peter recognizes two people. The door finally opens and I escape. Free at last!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny from the way you tell the story he almost doesn't sound like a dead beat dad, cheater and con artist.