Sunday, May 11, 2008

Living in "God's Country"

I have moved to my new permanent house. My new street address is along Enrique San Nicolas Lane in the village of Talafofo high in the southern hills of Guam. It is beautiful and quiet, save for the occasional rooster crow. The San Nicolas family lives in the dozen or so houses along my street which terminates into the jungle a few hundred yards away from my house. There is almost no car traffic and because of the elevation, it is about ten degrees cooler than down on the coast. Most of the time, my roommate and coworker Robert and I don't even use the a/c. We simply open up all the doors and windows and let the constant ocean breeze flow gently through the house. The local people call Talafofo "God's Country."
This is my bedroom.
This is the view from my window.

No comments: